Monday, February 20, 2012

Dont ever have kids mate..

As if my journey down under couldnt get any more exciting, for the past few days I have been having the worst tooth ache known to man. I am excited to say that I had my first experience with an Australian Dentist (who might I add was drop dead gorgeous) and I get to have my first tooth pulled down unda!!! Now, I know you are all jealous and concerned but have no fear, No Gaps Dentistry will fix me up in a jiff! Been exploring the Junction the past few days and have talked to a lot of locals. It is really making me realize the difference between Americans and Australians. I sat down with a friend of mine and had some lunch and the way Australians act is completely different. Even being in a large city such as Sydney, Aussies seem to be so much more relaxed and laid back. There is really no rush to get the check or to get your order where as in NYC its get in and get out and once you get out you have to run to your next destination while texting, talking, blogging, Facebooking, Tweeting, and of course, playing Words With Friends. The people here seem to actually listen to what you have to say most of the time also and take a general interest in your life. I can't tell you how many times I have just been standing waiting for a train or a bus and I have a random stranger just start talking to me. Not like they do in the states though...If a stranger talks to you waiting for the train in NYC, they are most likely asking for money, a cigarette, beer, or they are rambling about how their kids piss them off or how much they hate their job. Here, Australians love to ask about where you're from and why you decided to travel half way across the globe to spend 5 months in their country and city. They love to talk about your interests and also, they seem to be very selfless. I have yet to meet an Australian who loves to talk about themselves (unlike most Americans who would rather hear themselves talk rather the person they are talking to) The only time I hear an Australian talk about themselves is when I ask them stuff and even then, they play it down like it is no big deal. I have to say, I not only find it very interesting but it is also really enlightening and refreshing. Maybe we should all take a step back for a second and learn to enjoy the company of those who around us more often. Even if you're at a pub or a coffee shop just hanging out, make a friend! Chat about school or your home town or something. It is a lot more fun, a lot more gratifying, and makes you appreciate the people around you. There is something about this country that I still havent pinpointed yet but im working on it. Something is just very different and by different I don't mean bad. This place really makes you love life and appreciate every breath. Back home I constantly catch myself frustrated with long waits or bored on a quite Sunday but it is so different here. Long waits for a bus or a train make you look around and take in the area you're in and quite Sundays mean hot cups of coffee on the balcony then a walk down the cliff walk on Bondi. It must be something in the beer here but hey, I'm not complaining. Unfortunately, the one person who doesn't seem to agree is the guy living next to us at the moment at the Junction. He walks outside today while we are all waiting for the lift and we hear children screaming and a woman screaming even louder. The man walks outside, looks at us, takes a deep breath and says, "Don't ever have kids mate...they're a real pan in the hole...oy and don't get married either.." Made us all laugh just because of his accent but I couldn't disagree more. Cannot wait to see all of the fun adventures life has in store for me. Off to have a shower, get dressed, and have a night out on the town with the boys. Maybe check out some pubs down in Kings Cross (Anything that includes Kings Cross will most likely be followed by a blog post since that place is insanity in its purest form) Hope all is well back in the states for everyone who is following my blog and I am looking forward to seeing you all soon enough! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment